Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Could 'One Issue' Be Making A Difference?

Almost two months ago I posted on One Issue Voting related to Pat Robertson's endorsement of Rudi Giuliani for President. I made clear my displeasure with a candidate who is unwilling to take a moral stand for the rights of unborn children in America. Back then, Giuliani looked like the most likely Republican who could beat the Democratic front-runner at that time, Hilary Clinton. How times can change in an election year!

Perhaps Iowa was an indication that there still exists a large and influential part of American society that is strongly attracted to a leader who is willing to stand up for traditional values and who is not a member of a 'Christian' cult. I'm not excited about Huckabee just because he is a former Southern Baptist pastor:) In fact, I believe someone can be a fantastic president without being a Christian believer. I'm not sure who I'll vote for if my primary absentee ballot gets here to Bangkok fast enough (and I probably won't tell even if I do get to vote since IMB missionaries are not supposed to get too tied up into politics)...

I simply feel compelled to point out my gratefulness that Republicans (at least in Iowa) haven't capitulated on one of the major issues of justice that still faces our nation. We'll have to pray and wait to see what happens with the primaries. After that, we'll have to assess and look towards election day. Praise God that He remains in control!!!

No comments: