Wednesday, September 5, 2007

When the News Hits Home

Yesterday evening, my wife called my attention to this article about a scuba dive boat that sank of the coast of Phi Phi Island in Thailand, killing one tourist. I learned how to dive in the very same place the boat sank. Reading the article caused me to remember another day when Phi Phi Island made the news: December 26, 2004 when the Indian Ocean Tsunami wiped out almost all of the buildings and half of the locals and tourists on the island at the time just over a month after our family vacationed there.

It's always true that we think more deliberately about the issues of life and death when tragedy of some sort comes close to our lives. We often wonder, "How would I react if I was in that situation?" or "How would I respond if it was someone I loved who died in that incident?" As a Christian, the rock-solid realities that govern any such incident are known already in the Bible. Some passages that come to mind as I reflect on this situation include:
  • Job's words after he received news that all of his children had just died,
"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away, blessed be the name of the Lord" (Job 1:21)
  • David on the brevity of life in Psalm 39:4-5O
Lord, make me know my end
and what is the measure of my days;
let me know how fleeting I am!
Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths,
and my lifetime is as nothing before you.
Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath!
  • Paul in Romans 8:22-23,
"For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience."

I pray that God will give me strength and build my faith right now, when tragedy is still at arms length. I don't want strength and faith so I can somehow avoid or stop tragedies. I want my life to be a clear picture of God's infinite glory and worth when tragedy strikes.


No comments: