Saturday, September 22, 2007

Wisdom: Enhanced by Community

Proverbs 26:12
"Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him."
I read this verse today and it struck something within my spirit. Do you know any people who are very intelligent but still never seem to get much of significance accomplished? If others are following these people, they are doing it with reluctance and even bitterness. In my experience, there is usually no problem with intelligence or right answers. Lack of humility is the issue.

If we look back a couple of chapters in Proverbs, we can find the following description of a wise person in chapter 24 verses 5-6: "A wise man is full of strength, and a man of knowledge enhances his might, for by wise guidance you can wage your war, and in abundance of counselors there is victory." Someone who is truly wise, however intelligent, will always know the value of input from others. A wise man might be confident about the truth in a given situation yet still seek counsel from others. He will know there is always more to learn; always some improvement that can be made. When the time comes to make a decision, he will not waver. Still, those around him, even if they don't agree, will be less likely to charge him with arrogance or insensitivity.

This week, I faced some interesting circumstances that required difficult decisions on my part. I was incredibly grateful for perspective and counsel that I was able to get from others. In the end, my overall assessment of the situation did not change through these conversations, but I'm sure it was refined. The decisions I ended up making turned out to be good, as evidenced by circumstances that changed for the better as well as affirmation by others.

Throughout the whole process, I was progressing with fear and trembling because I know my own faults and weaknesses. I sought the Lord through prayer, His Word, and godly counsel. In the end, I believe the actions I took and the words I spoke were wise. The reality of the situation is that any wisdom was not my own, however, but the Lord's. I praise God that, this week, Proverbs 26:12 was true in my life, in a positive sense. I pray for God's grace to continue on this good road.

No comments: