Thursday, October 18, 2007

Consider the Poor...and Learn (Part 1)

"Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?"
James 2:5
These words from James come in the midst of a section where he warning Christians against showing partiality in the church. As I read the words of James 2:1-13, I get convicted and excited at the same time.

My conviction comes from the realization, as I examine my own life, that I am often guilty of showing partiality based on economic status. I think my subconscious mind goes through a process like this: Poor implies less educated or less diligent either of which gives less weight to what this person has to offer.

How wrong! Yes, it may be true that the perspective of someone with a 3rd grade education should be given less weight when discussing certain topics (like nuclear physics). Also, the Bible has things to say about sluggards which should inform our interactions with lazy people. Even so, there is absolutely no good reason for me to assume either of these things based on someone's economic status. Furthermore, even if one or both of these things is true about a poor person in the church, I need to realize that the rich, educated, and workaholic people also have sins and shortcomings in their lives.

Let's pray and ask God to reveal the sinful ways we show partiality to those around us in church. May He grant us wisdom to grow and to know what we are missing.

In Part 2, I will talk about why I get excited when I read this verse...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.