Wednesday, October 10, 2007

In Memory of Khun Samien

Ecclesiastes 7:1-4
1 A good name is better than precious ointment,
and the day of death than the day of birth.
2 It is better to go to the house of mourning
than to go to the house of feasting,
for this is the end of all mankind,
and the living will lay it to heart.
3 Sorrow is better than laughter,
for by sadness of face the heart is made glad.
4 The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning,
but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth.
Tonight I attended the funeral of Khun Samien, caretaker/handyman/guard at our church in Bangkok, Thailand. For most of the time we have been at this church, Samien has been sick with liver cancer. As a result, I didn't know Samien and I can't recall if I ever met him. Still, his funeral was something special because Samien knew Jesus and he led his wife and two daughters to follow Jesus as well. As a result, his service was one of celebration!

I truly believe that funerals are better than birthdays and weddings. Why? Funerals cause us to reflect on the truly important things in life. When a baby is born or two lovebirds are married it's easy to feel 'joyful' in ways that give little or no acknowledgment to the Lord. At a funeral, the only true joy possible comes from focusing on the Lord.

At this funeral, after singing, a recorded testimony from Samien himself, and heart tugging, challenging words from our pastor, the floor was opened to stories and testimonies from those present. I was amazed. Almost every story was one that described how Samien's life and words brought someone to faith in Jesus Christ. One man who knew Samien years ago declared publicly his desire to renew his commitment to Jesus!

I realized tonight that Samien lived well. He was a poor servant to a 27 year stream of (mostly) American pastors and staff members who lived at the church. Yet he was rich in the Spirit of God and his life was used powerfully to impact many.

I also realized that Samien died well. As cancer ravaged his body and frayed the edges of his family's emotional and spiritual stability, Samien remained rock steady in his faith. Praise God!
Lord, I did not know Your servant Samien, but his life impacted the hearts of many people who are dear to me. I praise You for him. I pray that You will work powerfully in my life during these 'easy' times, building my passion and joy in You. Strengthen me so that when tragedy, sickness, and death impact my life, my 'default mode' will be praise and joy! You are the King of life! Amen.

No comments: