Monday, October 1, 2007

Why pray, ‘Thy kingdom come’?

Matthew 6:9-13

“Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."

This weekend, while I was on a men’s retreat with my church in Bangkok, I was especially touched as we worshiped in song together. During one particular song, we repeated the chorus, ‘Come, Lord Jesus, come’ many times. As we sang these words, I felt, perhaps more than ever, the sincerity and urgency of my desire for Jesus to return to the earth in power. I wanted desperately for His light to break through the darkness of the night outside as He appeared along with legions of angels! I want it right now as well.

Why? Why do I have such a passionate desire for Jesus to return? Is it because I want to go to heaven? Do I want to see all the evil and injustice in the world erased in a moment? Of course I want these things! The reality that formed the base of my earnest desire for Jesus’ return during that song was more personal, however. God enabled me to see beyond the reward of heaven and beyond judgment for all those evil people out there. He poured into my heart a desire to see Him glorified, lifted high for all to see; a righteous anger at the way sin in the world clouds the ability to see clearly the One who is so worthy. At that moment, my spirit was broken within me and tears came to my eyes because I realized that, while He tarries, my sin also steals His glory.

Praise God that He made a way in Jesus to rescue every single glory-stealing rebel like me who repents and believes the gospel! Praise God that He sanctifies struggling saints, making us more and more holy. I know that God has perfect timing in His perfect plan for bringing glory to himself in this world. Right now, I’m not thinking about heaven or the evil of everyone else in the world…I simply want Jesus to come back right now so that no glory will be stolen from Him by even one more sin of mine.

No comments: