Monday, November 12, 2007

Co-ed Combat and Cultural Cowardice

I recently ran across the following article by John Piper entitled Co-ed Combat and Cultural Cowardice. It struck a cord with me because our church is currently going through a transition phase where we are making decisions on gender issues as related to church leadership.

Whatever your views on these issues, I encourage you to read Piper's article. It's so shockingly counter-cultural that you will either dismiss Piper immediately as an outdated fool, or you will give the issue some serious thought. I'm certainly not 'egalitarian' or supportive of 'Christian feminist' perspectives. Still, Piper's article was a stretch for me. What I learned is that I need to give the issue more thought and, more than anything, make sure my perspectives are informed by the Bible. As I attempt to let the Bible inform my views, I need to be aware of how powerfully cultural perspectives from the world around me can exert influence as well.

No comments: