Thursday, November 15, 2007

Prayers in Many Languages

Our international church in Bangkok recently had a prayer time for the new building that is currently being constructed. The largest room in the new building is designed to be a fellowship hall but it will also serve as a temporary sanctuary seating up to 450 people that we will use until a larger auditorium-style sanctuary can be built on the location of our current, smaller sanctuary.

During the prayer time, a large group from the congregation met together and, with permission from the builders, went into the large, unfinished room to pray. Each of us had with us a permanent marker that we used to write prayers and Scripture verses on the floor and walls of this new room (all will ultimately be covered by carpet and paint).

I was excited about the time because I thought it was cool to be able to write all over the floor and walls! When we started the process, I was blown away by how powerful the experience was. After I finished writing my Scriptures, I started walking around the room and looking at what other people were writing. I started noticing many other languages! Eventually, I started counting until I realized that there were 13 different languages represented on the floor and walls!

I praise God for the wonderful unity within cultural diversity that He has created at our church. I also praise God for the English language which enables all of us to come together for worship, fellowship, and cooperation in outreach to a lost world!

No comments: