Friday, November 23, 2007

Persistently

Jeremiah 35:12-15
"12 Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: 13 “Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Go and say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, Will you not receive instruction and listen to my words? declares the Lord. 14 The command that Jonadab the son of Rechab gave to his sons, to drink no wine, has been kept, and they drink none to this day, for they have obeyed their father's command. I have spoken to you persistently, but you have not listened to me. 15 I have sent to you all my servants the prophets, sending them persistently, saying, ‘Turn now every one of you from his evil way, and amend your deeds, and do not go after other gods to serve them, and then you shall dwell in the land that I gave to you and your fathers.’ But you did not incline your ear or listen to me."
The faithfulness of God is astounding! When I read these words in Jeremiah, especially within the larger context of Israel's unfaithfulness during that period in history, I am amazed. The depth of Israel's rebellion against the Lord, over and over again, juxtaposed with God's continued mercy, forgiveness and grace simply leaves me at a loss for words when I really get to thinking. The word that stands out to me in the passage quoted above is 'persistently'. God has spoken to His children persistently and He has persistently sent prophets to warn and teach the people how to follow His ways. What an incredible effort expended by the Almighty on a bunch of rebels!

Either God is really quite thick-headed and unable to figure out that these people are so self-absorbed they will never incline their hearts towards Him...or He has a redemptive plan so powerful and amazing that it almost defies human comprehension. Think about what this persistence in the face of rebellion says about the character of God. Knowing that I serve a God like this merciful is incredibly comforting to me. At the same time, it makes me tremble.

Our lives as Christians too often parallel the nation of Israel. We profess deep faith that produces great love for our Savior...then we go off and willfully disregard His will in simple issues of obedience, illustrating a shocking lack of faith. It seems that the Rechabites (read verses 1-11 for more context) among us are far and few between (no, this post is not at all about the issue of alcohol consumption).

Lord, please help me to consider Your persistent action on my behalf to communicate the fullness of your beauty, greatness and love to me, Your enemy. My the power of Your grace working by the Holy Spirit produce in me the will and desire to obey You in all things great and small. I don't want to 'go after other gods to serve them' as I have done so often in the past. Increase my faith, Lord! Amen.

No comments: