Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Hollywood Writers Strike

I have recently read a few stories about the current strike by Hollywood screenwriters that has already started to affect some popular shows. Others may go off the air by January or February if the strike continues.

I'm intrigued by the range of emotions I've experienced while reading this news. My first thought was about how this would affect some of the shows my wife and I enjoy watching (we get the DVD versions after the seasons are over and watch at our own pace). Hints of sadness at the thought of being forced to wait longer before I know what happens between Jim and Pam on The Office. I was even a bit put out at the thought of not being able to know how in the world the folks who bring us Lost will continue on after the rather bizarre ending to season 3. What new disaster will Jack Bauer thwart this time (although it can be convincingly argued that the disasters of the last couple of seasons weren't exactly 'new')? We may not find out for quite some time...

Do I feel sorry for the writers who are arguing for more pennies from each DVD sale to come their way? Or do I get angry at the ridiculously rich and greedy studios? What about the actors? What am I to think about all this craziness?

Finally, I drifted back to this reality: Me, myself, and I (along with my multi-million member band of cohorts around the world) am the ultimate source of this madness. If we never bought any DVDs, tuned into a show at the right time or clicked the mouse to visit an official website of my favorite show, there wouldn't be any shows at all! It's that whole supply/demand thing.

How is it that Hollywood pulls millions and millions of dollars from the economy every year? The answer is simple. People like me watch. We usually watch the ads as well. We buy the products that are advertised. That money goes into more ads and that money pays for more TV shows and movies.

What I'm really trying to point out with all this rambling is that it's hard for us to realize the true value that something has for us in our lives until it is gone (at least potentially) and we can gauge our reaction. How much of my life's energy is spent being entertained? How high up on my list of priorities is 'fun'? In the end, I'm reminded of a quote from St. Augustine that hangs beside my desk:
"He loves Thee too little who loves anything together with Thee which he loves not for Thy sake."
Where does Hollywood fit?

No comments: