Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Relational Evangelism (Part 2 of 2)

Go to Part 1
What does it look like to relate to a non-believer in a ‘real’ way while, at the same time, seeking to share the Gospel with that person? I’ll be the first to admit that I’m no authority on the subject. I regularly struggle to find the right balance. I often find myself retreating into comfortable relationships with my family, Christian friends, or a good book in lieu of intentional, real, and meaningful interaction with non-believers. Of course, in Thailand, I have the added communication challenges that come when a foreigner tries to build a relationship with someone from a different culture who speaks a different language! Still, one thing that is non-negotiable is that my relationship with Jesus shines…“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
Matthew 5:14-16
“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”
If I’m to have a real relationship with a non-believer, we won’t get past the first few conversations without him realizing that Jesus is central to my life. In fact, if I found it easy to interact for weeks or months with a non-believer without making a ‘big deal’ about my faith in Christ, I’d be worried! To me, that would evidence that Jesus hasn’t yet taken control of many aspects of my activities and thoughts about the world around me.

Will a non-believer think I’m strange at times when I express God-centered and Bible-informed views on the things in the world? Of course! Will some decide they don’t want to continue in relationship with me because I’m too ‘out there’? Probably. The number who choose to discontinue the relationship will be much smaller, I’m convinced, than most people fear. God has built people to worship their Creator. Yes, sin has turned us from the worshipers we were intended to be in to rebels to the core, but we’re still hard-wired for worship! As someone relates to me over a period of time, they will begin to get, I pray, a picture of my God-centered worldview. I truly believe that God will use this picture as one tool to draw that person to Himself.

Let’s combine sincere, God-given joy in relating to non-believers with an unashamed willingness to let them see the ‘real us’, especially the real part that desperately seeks to honor Jesus in every aspect of life.

No comments: